May 2, 2023—Casper, Wyoming—Visit Casper is joining industry partners across the country to celebrate National Travel and Tourism Week (NTTW) May 7-13, 2023, while increasing awareness around the integral role the travel and tourism industry plays in Wyoming and Natrona County. The theme for this year is #TravelForward.
“Travel fuels every industry and plays a critical role in our local, state and national economy,” said Tyler Daugherty, CEO of Visit Casper. “During National Travel and Tourism Week, we’re focusing on the many facets of the economy that this industry moves forward on a daily basis.”
Visit Casper is celebrating NTTW through a variety of events, including:
- Tuesday, May 2: Meet and Greet with Hotel Properties, Frontier Brewing & Taproom, 4:30-6 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 2: Casper Area Trivia Night, Frontier Brewing & Taproom, 6-8 p.m.
- Thursday, May 4: Open House at National Historic Trails Interpretive Center, 5-7 p.m.
- Monday, May 8: Tourism Panel at Natrona County High School
- Wednesday, May 10: Tourism Education Workshops + FAM Tour, Hilton Garden Inn, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. *RSVP required
- Friday, May 12: Tourism Breakfast, Sports Panel + FAM Tour, Nicolaysen Art Museum, 7-9 a.m., 10 a.m.-Noon *RSVP required
- Saturday, May 13: 48-48-48 Pickleball Challenge, 307 Tennis Club, 11 a.m.
The full schedule and RSVP information can be found here.
As part of this year’s NTTW efforts, Visit Casper is also launching a new co-op marketing initiative. The initiative is available for local tourism-specific stakeholders to apply for a $2,500 marketing co-op, with 10 winners being selected. Winners must use the $2,500 to promote their businesses and offering through strategic marketing tactics. Applications open May 8 and are due by May 29, while winners will be announced in mid-June. To learn more, interested parties are invited to attend a townhall on Monday, May 8 at 1 p.m. at the Tate Pumphouse (light snacks will be provided).
“We’re excited to be able to offer a co-op opportunity like this to our tourism stakeholders,” said Wayne Stewart, Director of Marketing and Communication for Visit Casper. “This initiative is designed to help increase visitation to Natrona County and provide our partners with additional marketing support.”
During 2022, Wyoming welcomed 7.5 million overnight visitors who spent more than $4.5 billion throughout the state, while that visitor spending generated $247 million in travel-generated taxes. The visitor economy supported more than 33,000 jobs in Wyoming, which was an increase of 5.9% compared to 2021.
In Natrona County, the travel and tourism industry includes guided recreation, lodging accommodations, retail shops, food and drink, gas stations and more.
A few 2022 stats for Natrona County:
- Travel generated 2,810 jobs in Natrona County (3% of Natrona County’s private employment)
- Travelers spent $349.6 million in Natrona County in 2022, which generated $16.8 million in state and local taxes
- Top sectors for visitor spend including food, lodging, retail, arts/entertainment/recreation, transportation/gas, groceries and air service
- The average length of stay is 2.5 days in Natrona County
Visit Casper markets Natrona County through a variety of ways, including paid advertising, social media, sales, public relations, newsletters, fulfillment and more. Examples include:
- 2022 Facebook reach: 2,049,744
- 2022 Instagram reach: 99,511
- 2022 website users: 325,000+
- Top 10 website visitation markets to VisitCasper.com were Wyoming, Colorado, Texas, California, Kansas, Utah, Illinois, Arizona, Washington and Minnesota
While inflation is having an impact on many Americans, the majority of people are still planning to travel at some level during 2023. A recent survey by Expedia showed that 59% of respondents plan to travel within the U.S. In addition, travelers continue to desire authentic experiences and activities, which aligns with the brand pillars, offerings and experiences found in Casper and Natrona County.
“Travel is a key industry in Natrona County,” added Daugherty. “It’s an honor to work in this industry and we’re proud to celebrate all that travel does for Casper and our surrounding communities.”
Learn more about Casper at VisitCasper.com.
# # #
About Visit Casper
Visit Casper is the official destination management organization for Natrona County and is dedicated to enhancing the county’s economic base through tourism. Casper is Wyoming’s second-largest city and is known for world-class fly-fishing on the North Platte River; is the annual host for the College National Finals Rodeo (CNFR); and has been named one of the top mountain towns in the country by Men’s Journal. More information can be found at www.VisitCasper.com. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter or discover images and content with #VisitCasper.